Twenty years in the planning, the Performing Arts Center of Rapid City (The Center) is both a stunning example of historic building renovation and a multi-organization partnership coming together to create a needed community asset. The Center operates in collaboration with four founding coalition members (CMOs), representing leading performing arts organizations in the region: Black Hills Community Theater, the Black Hills Symphony Orchestra, the Rapid City Children’s Chorus, and the Shrine of Democracy Chorus. This unique and creative partnership created, from inception, a vibrant program of performances, receptions, exhibitions, and events. Working together The Center and its four founding partners created a new cultural destination for the region.
The Performing Arts Center of Rapid City is housed inside Rapid City High School, expanding the partnership to Rapid City Area Schools. Our community benefits enormously from the presence of this amazing partnership. The Center offers something for everyone. We have multiple locally produced shows each year, in addition to touring professional artists, plays and concerts presented by Rapid City schoolchildren, and performances by local groups. Whether you enjoy serious drama, light-hearted comedy, music or dance, you’re sure to find many performances throughout the year that will keep you coming back for more!
Performances are presented in one of the Performing Arts Center’s two venues: the 830-seat Historic Theater, or the more intimate 175 seat Studio Theater. Check out Coming Events for information about our future performances. Tickets can be purchased online, by calling (605) 394-1786, or by visiting us in person during regular Box Office hours.
We are located at 601 Columbus St. in Rapid City, for directions and travel information please click here
Our mission is to provide a home for the performing arts and broaden its impact in the Rapid City area. This will be accomplished by:
- Fostering a collaborative spirit between schools, performing organizations and related institutions.
- Creating performing arts experiences, classes and workshops.
- Supporting and managing the facilities for the production of a wide range of high-quality community-based arts performances.
- Inspiring artists and audiences by presenting professional performances and outreach programming.
Our vision is to create a sense of place: a feeling of community between people who are joined through a shared experience – the performing arts.
- We are committed to providing the highest quality customer service.
- We are committed to our fiscal responsibility for our patrons and our community partners.
- We value and appreciate the sustaining support of our financial partners and patrons.
- We support an environment which encourages participation in the performing arts.
- We support and encourage innovation, creativity and new works in the performing arts.
- We take a leadership role in educating and collaborating with others who share our interests and values.
- We strive to provide our coalition members with a permanent and sustainable home.
- We are committed to integrity in our business relationships.
- We value and recognize the untiring efforts of our volunteers.
Coalition Member Organizations (resident companies)
- Black Hills Community Theatre
- Black Hills Symphony Orchestra
- Shrine of Democracy Chorus
- Rapid City Children’s Chorus